The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is assisting with COVID-19-related funeral expenses. Under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, FEMA will provide financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
We have put together links to the program for your convenience. Please remember that FEMA will begin accepting applications for this program on Monday, April 12 through their dedicated call center. Please plan now to apply as funds for this program may become limited if you wait an extended period of time.
FEMA Funeral Reimbursement Program Link:
Frequently asked questions about the program: https://www.fema.gov/disasters/coronavirus/economic/funeral-assistance/faq
Some things to remember:
- Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, April 12, 2021
- Applications will be accepted via FEMA’s telephone or teletypewriter call center.
COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line Number:
844-684-6333 | TTY: 800-462-7585
Applications begin on April 12, 2021
Program Call Center Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Central Time (9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time)
Things to remember:
- This assistance is limited to a maximum financial amount of $9,000 per funeral and a maximum of $35,500 per application.
- Funeral expenses must be incurred by the applicant after January 20, 2020.
- South Carolina received a federal disaster declaration for COVID19. See link: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/3470